Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Progress at the Beehive


Things are buzzing at the beehive!
Start date October 29, 2012
Progress at the Beehive
202 hours, 0 minutes
Last update April 14, 2015

I had a plan, way back, to sandwich all my quilts so they would be ready for hand quilting. It was a good plan and I did sandwich all but a few, but getting them quilted just didn't happen. 

Feeling overwhelmed it was time to do something about it.  So, I set up a hand quilting schedule with a goal of 1-2 hours a night, 5 nights a week and I must say, how good it feels!  But, when gardening season arrives my time spent at the Beehive will be greatly reduced.  I am an evening gardener and rarely make it inside before dark.


All of us, from time to time, need a plunge into freedom and novelty, after which routine and discipline will seem delightful by contrast.  ~AndrĂ© Maurois

There are definitely benefits to routine and something I plan to revisit in 2013.  Forgotten are so many projects, lost in the excitement of starting something new.  But, as my focus returns to the forgotten, the excitement that once was does to. 

The New Year will also be a more mindful one.  Blogging makes it too easy to become unmindful and in turn one fails to give proper attention to what really matters, and that is the quilting. 

Even though my journey is taking a big step backwards, new projects will still be part of the New Year, but in a more mindful way.  Considered a treat for progress made and once started it must be seen to finish.

Jumping ahead to the day my hand quilting is caught up and my forgotten projects are done, maybe I will be wiser, with only a couple of projects on the go, at any given time.

Until next time.....happy quilting!

Karen

Watercolour of Bees by Ashley Klump.
Sadly, I do not know the artist of the girl holding the bee.

16 comments:

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Ah, Karen......don't be so hard on yourself...yes the quilting is important but the friends and ideas that come from blogging are also important....how to balance the two is a project in itself.....but I do agree that it is important to return to those forgotten projects because they will bring back that excitement again.....Here's to a Wiser New Year!

marina said...

sounds like you are going great guns to me, and great you are enjoying it.

Maria said...

Good luck with keeping on track with your hand quilting Karen BUT one thing I have learnt since becoming a quilter is 'We are easily distracted and seam to start new projects all the time...
I havd loved blogging as I have meet many new friends who are more than willing to share their knowledge and ideas...

Miri said...

Good plan! I had a quilt that just sat in the frame for months until I started blogging progress reports-that pushed me to sit down and quilt. :)

Satu said...

Your New Year plan sounds reasonable, I think I should plan something like that too... Happy Advent time!!!

Silvia said...

Your words are my words too!
Thinks hapends the same for all of us, handcrafts lovers. But, as you say, happy quilting!

Dolores said...

I feel the same way. I have not sandwiched my tops but they are in view and I do have an idea as to what I will be working on next, and then what I will work on after that. Life does get in the way but at least there is a plan.

Karen said...

The best laid plans.....you know how it goes. I think I will do something similar to what you are doing and then a new project piques my interest. I am off and running in a different direction.

Hilachas said...

Hi Karen,
You may feel that blogging is sometimes unmindful and maybe it becomes too much of a routine BUT your blogs are an inspiration to the rest of us. I constantly check your blogs for the wonderful informations you have for us (I'm still going to start a clamshell something some day...). One-Flower Wednesday is such an inspiration, your Dear Jane quilting motivates me to do something on mine. Yes, the quilting matters, but your blogging is a treasure for the rest of us.

Paula said...

Dear Karen, I love to read your blog, it is an inspiration to me so is all your crafts. It's sure good to have routine but one has to step out of it every now and then.
I don't think we, the quilters, can ever have only couple of projects on the go. (Our head will explode).

Have a wonderful weekend and happy quilting.

Lin said...

Dear Karen - wise advice from all your contributors. I have many projects on the go all the time and it is good to switch from one to another. Some are for sitting with my husband by the fire and the TV - some for me at the machine. Everything has a time and a place, just enjoy each one.

Anonymous said...

I love hand quilting also. I have two friends who come to my home EVERY Friday from 9:30 to 3:30 and we hand quilt on my quilt. (I provide lunch) When we finish my quilt, we will go to the next person's home every Friday and work on their quilt until it is finished. It's a great "quilting bee"...get my quilting done with the company of great friends. Try it! Love your blog.

Melanie said...

Love your post....The comments after were just as inspiring. Blogging can may you defer projects, but it does encourage. Hoping next year I can return to focus.

Jen said...

HI! Karen, I dont think you are different from a lot of quilters. I have 2 quilts to pin this weekend that have been sitting on my sewing table.I won't be as organised as you I don't think. I am sure you will catch up soon.
Happy Christmas and New Year.

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me spend some time reading, and enjoying my morning coffee. I too wonder about time spent away from quilting, but it is also wonderful to meet new friends in cyberspace who have the same passion for creating new things. Do enjoy 2013 I'm sure we all have more planned than time, but we'll Live it!

Dee Cee

Raewyn said...

A lovely post. I wish you a happy and productive year.